AmaWaterways the Award-winning river cruise line have recently added a new ship and new river cruise on Burma’s Ayeyarwady (Irrawaddy) River.
One of the world’s most secretive, mysterious and fascinating places, Burma has a unique, centuries-old culture and spectacular architectural wonders, including sacred structures gilded with gold leaf and encrusted with precious gems and AmaWaterways’ have carefully designed their iteniary to take in all the highlights of this
· Bagan – A cultural treasure trove of more than 2,200 temples, stupas and pagodas, on par with Cambodia’s massive Angkor Wat temple complex.
· Mandalay – The country’s last royal capital and second largest city, the “Golden City” of Mandalay is regarded as Myanmar’s cultural heart, renowned for its master craftsmen and its patronage of the arts.
· Mount Popa – The stunning shrine perched at the top of Mt. Popa is considered the legendary home of spirit gods worshipped by Burmese Buddhists.
· Ancient Royal Cities – Inwa (Ava) was the capital of the Burma for more than 400 years. Amarapura has the world’s longest teak bridge, Sagaing is famous for its tranquil atmosphere and Mingun has many historic sites to explore.
· Yangon (Rangoon) – The “Garden City of the East,” retains much of its colonial charm with cobblestoned streets, tree-lined avenues and Victorian architecture.
Guests will cruise the Ayeyarwady aboard the custom-built AmaPura and takes its name from the former royal capital of Amarapura (Sanskrit for “City of Immortality”). Designed to provide an ultra-comfortable experience, this vessel is beautifully furnished with a combination of modern and traditional motifs and its shallow draft allows it to navigate the river nearly year-round. The AmaPura has 28 suites featuring either a French Balcony, an Outside Balcony or Twin Balconies, as well as a well-appointed en suite bathroom. The ship’s elegant public areas include a restaurant and main lounge and bar. There’s also a gift shop, spa, refreshing pool and a Sun Deck perfect for lounging, enjoying a cocktail, or simply gazing out at the ever-changing scenery.
The AmaPura is designed to provide you with a serene home away from home for the duration of your Myanmar voyage. After a full day of sightseeing, there is no greater luxury than to return to a peaceful, comfortable ship and be welcomed aboard with a cool drink and chilled towel. The friendly and resourceful staff will be at your service throughout your entire river cruise.
An optional four-night post-cruise land extension is available on both itineraries, featuring three nights in Inle Lake and one further night in Yangon.
The Golden Treasures of Myanmar itinerary costs from £4999pp, including return UK flights from London, two nights pre-cruise and one night post-cruise stay in Yangon, transfers to and from the ship, ten nights on board the ship, all tours, all meals, complimentary wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner, on-board entertainment including cultural shows and lectures, and port charges.