Bacon and crunchy croutons make this salad feel more like the sandwich you know and love.
- 12 oz. thick-cut bacon, cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 ciabatta bread, torn into small pieces
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 5 oz. arugula
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes, mixed varieties and sizes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup torn basil leaves
Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add bacon in an even layer. Fry until crisp, for about 5 minutes. Transfer bacon using a slotted spoon onto a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Remove half the bacon fat and reserve.
Make croutons: Return pan to medium heat and toss bread in bacon fat; season with salt and pepper. Toast until golden brown. Transfer croutons to a bowl and set aside.
Add remaining bacon fat to sauté pan and toss with garlic over medium heat. Sauté until garlic is softened and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir together with balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Add arugula, tomatoes, red onion, parsley, and croutons; toss together with dressing. Top with bacon and basil and serve immediately.
Recipe by Judy Kim